A journey through the ‘70s: Daisy Jones & The Six Review

Printerval.com
A fake concert tour poster made of the 70’s band

Although it’s often difficult to find a 5-star read, there was little to no hesitation after reading the phenomenal historical fiction novel, Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Following a 1970s band, the narrative unfolds through a dual timeline surrounding the band’s formation, peak, and dissolution in the ‘70s, coupled with individual interviews in present time given by the members, shedding light on the reasons behind the band’s disbandment. 

Published on March 5, 2019, Daisy Jones & The Six illustrates the toll of both fame and wealth on its characters. As the band navigates through the 1970s, the narrative delves into the personal costs each member experiences, from losing themselves to their loved ones. The experiences of the characters powerfully reveal the sacrifices and conflicts that turn out to be an intricate hoax accompanying the seemingly glamorous world of stardom and wealth. 

The fact that Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing style is extremely immersive and captures the essence of the era adds to the overall enjoyment of reading the novel. Reid did an exceptional job crafting a narrative that feels incredibly authentic. The way she portrays the characters, the music industry, and the dynamics within the band all contribute to the illusion that Daisy Jones and the Six were a real band from the 70s. From disco to bell-bottom jeans, Reid perfectly captures the vibe and aesthetic of the 70s, while simultaneously making sure the characters are well-developed and the dialogue feels genuine throughout the entire novel. The documentary-style format of the book, with interviews and firsthand accounts, adds another layer of realism. 

The fact that readers can get lost in the narrative and connect with characters who have never existed is a testament to the author’s skill.  A qualified storyteller has the ability to create such a realistic universe, and Taylor Jenkins Reid succeeded well in doing so, receiving lots of praise for her wonderful novel. 

The novel achieved remarkable acclaim, earning both the Goodreads Choice Award for Historical Fiction in 2019 and the Goldsboro Books Glass Bell Award in 2020. The novel’s gripping plot and immersive storytelling captured the attention of literary circles and became extremely popular on social media apps, mainly TikTok. Additionally, the bestseller also transcended into visual media, with its adaptation into a miniseries streaming on Prime Video. 

The show’s popularity soared, earning accolades such as the Breakthrough Actress – Television award and recognition for outstanding achievements in television design, sound mixing, and costume design. Its success extended beyond storytelling, showcasing eminence in multiple aspects of production and significant contributions to the television industry.

The album, Aurora, which was released alongside the miniseries, featured songs from the book such as “Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)”, “Let Me Down Easy”, and “The River”, all reaching over 23 million streams on Spotify. Fans shared their love for both the book and the show on social media, giving the novel a rating of 4.22 stars on Goodreads and a rightfully earned 4.1 on Google. This novel fully transports readers into a world of rock and roll, while simultaneously causing them to fall in love with both the characters and their backstories.