The influence of Tiktok shop: Is Summer Fridays worth the hype?

Raniya Faisal
A row of Summer Friday’s Lip balm popular scents that a teenager bought

Tik Tok updated their app on September 12, 2023 to add a new section, to sell products called Tik Tok shop. Influencers sell products to viewers, getting a percentage of their purchase which allows users to discover and purchase products directly from the platform. Like most modern algorithms, products are recommended to users based on user preference and engagement patterns. Brands and businesses were quick to capitalize on the trend, using TikTok Shop to showcase their products through engaging and creative video content. 

Certain products including clothes, beauty products, and decorations, one being Summer Fridays has been in the spotlight recently because of the trends going on the app because they have been hyping it up. These influencers get commission over these advertisements, so unfortunately, the app has been flooded with false positive reviews of bad products. Certain items have been blowing up recently, one of them being the Summer Friday lip bomb. This viral product has teens on a chokehold. According to gcimagazine.com 89% of users bought cosmetic products after browsing on the Tiktok Shop app. Is the price of this singular product worth the hype? To some, this product lives up to all of the publicity because of the higher quality ingredients that can’t be found on dollar store shelves. 

Teenage girls often find themselves susceptible to the persuasive influences of social media when it comes to purchasing makeup. In an era dominated by Instagram influencers, TikTok beauty videos, and various online platforms, teenagers are flooded with images of flawless faces filled with the latest makeup trends. A lot of young girls trust tiktok reviews more than other reviews on the actual tik tok app, because of the paid commission given to the people reviewing the product.

The desire to fit into societal standards of beauty can drive them to make purchasing decisions based on what is popular rather than practical. Moreover, the influence of their peers, who may showcase high-end products as a symbol of status and glamor, can lead teenagers to invest in makeup items beyond their budget. 

The Summer Fridays lip balm comes in many different scents and colors, and it’s a high quality product. Most people love it for its unique colors, like beiges, pinks, reds, and even greens, that go with most skin tones and their signature warm sugar flavors that match up with the color. Compared to other sephora lip products such as the Dior lip oil, which is $40 and the Prada beauty lip balm at $50 all being luxury beauty products the summer friday lip balm doesn’t seem to be that much money. Of course if the consumer compares this to CVS lip balm or other drug store products it may be pricer. As the popular saying goes “you get what you paid for” so it might be worth it to splurge a little bit and start a collection of quality products.“I have been using Summer Fridays for many years. It’s a bit pricey, but it is one of my favorite lip balms,”  English teacher Mrs. Kirakosyan said. There are other alternatives to products from drug stores that are good to use as well but don’t serve the same quality as luxury products such as summer fridays. In the end, it is up to your own preferences to shop at sephora or CVS.