Controversy Surrounds Disney’s New Snow White Movie

google.com
Rachel Zegler faces backlash from original Snow White fans for starring as the main character in the new live action movie.

Most Disney fans know and love the original Snow White, but will that stay the same when the new live action movie comes out? Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of Snow White, starring Rachel Zegler, has been undergoing a relentless amount of backlash that refuses to die out. Disney continues releasing remakes of movies that are being played by content creators that influence the way it’s portrayed to its audience, which is clashing with the original movie.

According to the Variety interview with Rachel Zegler, Disney will reportedly replace the iconic dwarf characters with bandits. They stated that “to avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community,” which is completely unnecessary because a crucial part of her story revolves around her kindness towards the seven dwarfs. Disney has been trying to develop a new approach with the live action movie talking about drastic changes in the film. Fans do not support this decision because they are claiming that Disney is taking away the opportunity for the dwarf communities to be represented in this live-action film. 

In a September interview with Variety, Zegler discussed the changes that are going to be made to the original, emphasizing that “it’s no longer 1937” and that Snow White would “not be saved by the prince and she won’t be met with true love, but instead she fantasizes about being the leader she knows she is capable of becoming.” However, in the classic version of Snow White, she awakens from a true love’s kiss, and they’re removing this major part of the plot, converting it into any other Disney movie about leadership.  This topic about individuality and independence among Disney princesses is repetitive. The first ever Snow White has originality to it, hence the negative reviews towards the making of the new movie.

Although some fans are posting negative comments towards the decisions of Walt Disney, others believe that it would be a good idea. “I think society is begging for change. I hope this movie showcases the concept that little girls can stand independently and rely on their own knowledge to save themselves. Princes are nice, but today we strong and smart ladies can think of them as dessert and not the main course,”Spanish teacher Mrs. Melville said. 

When the live action Snow White starring Rachel Zegler was first announced, it sparked racist backlash from commentators who believed that Zegler, who is of Colombian and Polish origins, wasn’t pale enough for the part, as the princess is described as having skin “as white as snow.”

Zegler acknowledged the backlash in an interview with Variety, stating that she was “trending on Twitter for days, because all of the people were angry.” Zegler went on to emphasize that “Snow White is really a big deal in Spanish-speaking countries” and expressed pride at playing “a Latina princess.” This, however, does not make any sense because Snow White was German, and never a Latina princess. “Instead of transforming a classic film into a Latina princess, Disney could create an original Latina princess,” sophomore Izabella Murzynoeski said. 

Disney’s new Snow White movie undoubtedly has a lot to live up to, given the legacy of the original animated classic. The criticisms surrounding the film have high expectations that come with revisiting a beloved story. As the release date approaches, it remains to be seen whether Disney can address these concerns and deliver a Snow White adaptation that both honors the tale and speaks to a new generation of viewers.