Billie Eilish’s greatest album yet: HIT ME HARD AND SOFT

Jojo Mkhitaryan
The Amazon exclusive vinyl for HIT ME HARD AND SOFT

American singer-songwriter Billie Eilish has again taken the music industry by storm with her latest album, HIT ME HARD AND SOFT, announced in early April and released on May 17, 2024. Departing from her usual approach, Eilish released the entire album all at once without any prior singles, as she wanted this album to be experienced as “a family of songs,” referring to the experience felt when listening to the album in its entirety and order. This album marks a new chapter in her musical journey, featuring contributions from other musicians like Andrew Marshall on drums and the Attacca Quartet on strings, whose presence is prominently on “SKINNY,” the opening track.

The album opens with “SKINNY,” a powerful anthem addressing body shaming, echoing the same themes from her previous works, like “Not My Responsibility” from the Happier than Ever album. In “L’AMOUR DE MA VIE (love of my life),” Eilish and her brother Finneas O’Connell experiment boldly with sound design and technology, using autotune not as a crutch but as a creative quirk. This innovative approach highlights their ability to push boundaries while staying true to their unique sound. “Auto-tune is COOL- if you can hear auto-tune, it’s on purpose,” O’Connell said on X, formerly Twitter.

Tracks like “WILDFLOWER” and “THE GREATEST” delve deep into introspection, allowing Eilish to explore her character and personal growth. In this context, introspection involves a profound self-examination, revealing vulnerabilities and strengths through her music. The album’s energy is remarkably dynamic, shifting within the same song from a vibrant, rave-worthy beat to a tender, melancholy ballad, evoking a true rollercoaster of emotions.

“CHIHIRO,” one of the album’s teasers, showcases Eilish’s experience with building intensity within her songs. The song begins with a slow, haunting melody that crescendos into a thrilling techno climax, reminiscent of the dramatic shifts in “Happier than Ever.” The album concludes with “BLUE,” a re-recording of her older, unreleased track, “True Blue.” This closing song provides a sense of closure to the album, with Eilish reflecting on unresolved thoughts and emotions from earlier tracks. In a taunting hint at future projects, the album’s final line, “But when can I hear the next one?” leaves fans eagerly awaiting what’s to come.

The album’s charts did not disappoint, either. Not only was the debut for HIT ME HARD AND SOFT Billie’s biggest debut yet, with 72.7 million streams, but it was also the biggest Spotify debut album by an artist born this century, surpassing the previous title holder, Olivia Rodruigo’s SOUR, which had 63 million streams.

HIT ME HARD AND SOFT stands out as Billie Eilish’s best album, masterfully blending introspection with innovative soundscapes. It’s a compelling journey worth listening to, showcasing her growth and artistry in every track. With no skips, this album is one of the best showcases of Eilish’s musical abilities.