Better Than the Movies book: a bittersweet romcom

Araya Saetier
Better Than the Movies released on May 4, 2021, celebrating its three-year anniversary

“I fell in love with teasing you in the second grade, when I first discovered that I could turn your cheeks pink with just a word. Then I fell in love with you.” These are the words from the popular rom-com novel, Better Than the Movies, written by American author Lynn Painter, who is currently a New York Times bestseller. 

The book has become extremely popular on social media and has blown up specifically on TikTok. Lynn Painter has been a popular author since the book’s debut in 2021, and mostly focuses on romance novels. Some of her best-selling books include Mr. Wrong Number, The Do-Over, and Betting on You, all of which have gained significant popularity over the years.

The Better Than the Movies book series currently has six published works, which include a prequel and an upcoming sequel. The order of the series goes: Better Than Before, Better Than the Movies, Liz’s Proposal, The Party, Basketball Night, Wes Bennett’s Vivid Dream, Better Than the Prom, and Wes and Liz’s College Road Trip

Better Than the Movies revolves around Liz Buxbaum, a high school senior about to graduate, Wes Bennett, who is her childhood archnemesis, and Michael Young, Liz’s childhood crush. The book starts with a prologue explaining Liz’s bond with her late mother and their obsessions with watching cheesy romantic movies. 

Growing up a hopeless romantic, Liz has always dreamed of having a life similar to the ones she has seen in the movies. This dream is ultimately crushed, as she has not had any luck with the boys she goes out with. When her childhood crush, Michael Young, returns to town, her life is completely turned around. She sees him converse with Wes Bennett, her childhood neighbor and biggest bully, getting himself invited to a party. As an attempt to not only rekindle their friendship, but possibly be seen in a romantic light, Liz convinces Wes to get her invited to this party.

Wes sees Liz’s attraction towards Michael and agrees to take her, but not without making a deal first. The day of the party, Liz arrives and sees Michael, and the two begin talking. What could go wrong?

Upon reading this novel, the author successfully keeps readers updated with Liz’s constant thoughts on Michael and Wes, making readers feel as though they are truly best friends with Liz and keeping them waiting to see which guy she ultimately chooses. The book is exciting at times when the plot thickens, and the storyline also goes slow at times as the days pass, but the chapters move on quickly. It is a quick and easy read for the series, and the book can be completed within days. 

Personally, this book is an intriguing read, as Wes has always appeared to despise Liz from a distance but has harbored feelings for her since he was a young boy. The benefits of having two POVs include the exclusive thoughts of the character and how they see things, which may be the opposite of the main character’s. Wes’ character in Liz’s eyes seems more annoying and short-tempered, but from Wes’ POV, his thoughts are more patient and understanding, with his feelings for Liz revealed. 

The author is also creative and uses language for teens and young adult readers while also making it as modern as possible. Despite being published in 2021, the author’s writing style is great. The book is rated 4.29/5.00 stars on Goodreads. I would rate this book an 8/10, just because it was worth the read. 

Painter’s newest book, the sequel to Better Than the Movies, Nothing Like the Movies, is expected to be released on September 24, 2024, and is a continuation of the characters’ lives in college.