NEWS: Seniors share a thrilling night at Universal Studios

Pauline Tekelian
Seniors Kadie Rostamlou, Pauline Tekelian, Celia Tahmasian, Adrineh Matevosyan, and Ani Minasyan pose with the Grad Bash sign.

May is usually a busy time for seniors at Clark: preparing for the senior project oral boards, long study sessions for upcoming AP tests, and preparing for the next steps after graduation can cause many to feel burnt out. Luckily, the Universal Studios Grad Bash trip arrived on time to give seniors a break from the stress of academics.

On Friday, May 10, the hallways of Clark were filled with excitement and anticipation for the trip, with many already making plans for what they wanted to do at the theme park. Over 200 seniors arrived at the front of the school at 4:00 p.m. with chaperones accompanying them. After what felt like an eternity in the hot buses, the class finally reached the park at around 5:00 p.m., giving them eight hours to enjoy the food, rides, and atmosphere.

Many students rushed to the rides as soon as they arrived before the wait

times got too long. Some rides the students frequently rode were the high-speed Revenge of the Mummy, the terrifying Jurassic World ride, and the enchanting Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride inside the Hogwarts castle. “I loved the Mummy ride because it’s dark, fast, and goes backward,” senior Ilona Harutyunyan said. “It makes the ride way more exciting and scary.”

There were also a variety of snacks, drinks, and meal options to choose from. Although very crowded, the Toadstool Cafe in Super Nintendo World provided students with delicious Mario-themed burgers and spaghetti. Others dined at The Three Broomsticks, which offered a very calming atmosphere in the park’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter section, where students enjoyed cold glasses of Butterbeer to cool off from running around the park. There were also pretzels, churros, and ice cream sold at different food stands for students to snack on throughout the night. Senior Arineh Shahbazi and her friends had dinner at The Three Broomsticks. “I got the shepherd’s pie and it was really good. Actually, most of our group got the shepherd’s pie or the fish and chips since we all love it,” Shahbazi said.

Seniors Elen Pilosyan, Milena Keshkaryan, Natali Hovhannisyan, Alla Khachatryan, Ani Sukiasyan, and Gohar Chobanyan arrive at Universal Studios and pose in front of the fountain. (Natali Hovhannisyan)

Once the sun set, the park lit up with bright lights from the attractions,

making it an even more magical experience. Two DJ booths were set up for the seniors after the park closed, so those who wanted something other than the rides could take a break and party. Many characters also came out to greet the senio

rs at night, such as Bart and Homer Simpson, who entertained students while they were in Krustyland.

Even the chaperones who were on the trip had a great time bonding with their students and their colleagues. Mr. Ghavam participated in both this year’s and last year

’s Grad Bash trip. “Overall it was pretty good, and I’m glad I was there to support the seniors so they can have a great time,” Ghavam said. “Because faculty are so busy, we usually don’t get to hang out outside of school that much, so we were able to talk and learn new things about each other.”

By 1:00 a.m., the students started making their way to their respective

Seniors Charbel Slaibi, Arman Jamijian, and Arek Juljulian ride the prop motorcycles on the French street. (Joshua Ahlers)

buses. Tired and sore from walking around all day, many fell asleep or listened to music until the class finally made it back to the school. Even though it was a long day, the trip allowed the class of 2024 to make lasting memories with their friends and have fun before their approaching graduation.