Love is Blind Season 6: An addicting dumpster fire

Samantha Talbot
Love is Blind on Netflix ran for 13 episodes this newest season, bringing even more drama than ever before.

The Netflix original series Love Is Blind has been trying to answer the age-old question, “Is love truly blind?” for six seasons now, and this newest season seems to provide the same answer as the other five: it isn’t. Time and time again, it becomes apparent that physical attraction does end up playing a significant role in the success of a relationship. Despite the failure of the experiment upon which the show is founded, Love Is Blind never fails to deliver an entertaining mess of love triangles, scandals, and miscommunication. With an especially notable cast each with their own messy backgrounds, this season was certainly a rollercoaster of drama (spoilers for the first four episodes ahead).

This newest season aired on February 14th of this year with all participants from Charlotte, North Carolina. In Love is Blind, the singles take turns speed-dating each other in rooms known as pods. These pods have an opaque wall in the center so that each person can only hear the other’s voice; they only see each other in person after they agree to get engaged. Then, they go on a honeymoon, move into a home together, and before you know it, they’re at the altar (though not all couples make it that far). 

Though the first few episodes introduce Johnny and Amy, a couple who connect through their love of Studio Ghibli and their overall carefree energy (and an overall favorite on the show), and Brittany and Kenneth, who are bound by their love of Christ, the remaining run time is already full of questionable dynamics. Contestants Jessica and Jimmy start off strong in the pods, but Jessica secretly has a 10-year-old daughter that she doesn’t reveal to Jimmy until later on. Though he claims that a child isn’t a deal-breaker for him, the footage shows that he is clearly shaken. It’s a good thing that he has a backup option, Chelsea, except she also has a secret: she’s been married before. While Jimmy grapples with these two women, Chelsea has her eyes on not only Jimmy but also another contestant named Trevor, a loveable “himbo” who is by far the easiest to root for. While Trevor is seemingly completely devoted to Chelsea, she is still torn between him and Jimmy.

However, the complex love triangles between these four singles is not the only love triangle on the show. A.D. (Amber Desiree) has a connection between two men, Clay and Mattew, though it appears to be a lose-lose situation. Clay, though charming and flirtatious at first, turns out to have issues with his father which has led him to become deeply insecure. He’s annoyingly focused on looks (which goes against the entire premise of the show), but he’s quick to throw out a half-baked apology when A.D. starts to distance herself. On the other hand, Matthew, a financial adviser, already has a bad reputation with the other women in the pods since he treats each date like a job interview with pre-written questions and everything, along with his already unsettling energy. He also is oddly distant and will even leave in the middle of the date if he feels that the woman is coming on too strong. However, when he talked with A.D., it brought out a more sensitive side to him, and he would go on and on about how romantic their life together would be, like how he’d propose to her on a mountaintop. Unfortunately, these dreams were quickly shattered for A.D. when she found out that Matthew had made those same promises to another girl named Amber. Matthew then leaving the show to go after Amber was probably the best thing to happen to A.D., though Clay wasn’t a particularly strong pick either.

At the end of the first four episodes, five couples emerged: Johnny and Amy, Kenneth and Brittany, Jimmy and Chelsea, Clay and A.D., and Laura and Jeramey. 

Although the first few episodes were already tumultuous, there is plenty more drama, pettiness, and even cheating that ensues later on in the season. You can watch the rest of this blazing dumpster fire on Netflix.