Tragedy unfolds: Clark Lockdown in wake of murder investigation

Raniya Faisal
Sophomore Emilio Maldonado and freshmen Krikor Karadanaian, Sabreen Ahmed, and Ella Ghevondyan sitting on the floor of the girls’ locker room during the lockdown waiting for further instructions from Mr. Frazer.

On February 14th, 2024 Students from Clark Magnet High School were notified by administration sending out an emergency email to parents saying “We were recently notified by the Glendale Police Department of some police activity in the area. Out of an abundance of caution we have initiated a shelter-in-place… Students are remaining in class as instructions continue.” This sent some parents into a state of worry, although most were able to stay calm and patient as the threat didn’t seem to be directly at school. 

As the announcement from Mr. Rubio was heard on the loudspeaker by all students on campus, a mix of confusion and curiosity passed through the students. Despite all the stress,  most students were able to settle down with the help of teachers following protocol and the shelter in place that was in order, during a situation like this. My next thought was to make sure that the other class was okay, both the 9th and 10th grade seventh-period classes were safe together sheltering in place.” said Mr. Frazer, who was one of many teachers protecting students on campus during the lockdown.

A shelter in place was issued to schools in the area including Valley View Elementary and Clark Magnet High School. The police officers completely shut down Dunsmore Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue north of Foothill Boulevard to keep the suspect in place. As students were hiding and trying to remain quiet, many rumors started to spread, leaving students on campus questioning what was going on. “I heard two rumors from my friends during the lockdown; one said that their mother told them someone broke into the school and had a gun,” freshman Bushrah Alam said. 

Students were in lockdown from 2:20-3:35, waiting for what would happen next and when they would be released. According to the Glendale Police Department, the suspect barricaded themselves inside the home of a local residential home, just a few blocks away from Clark Magnet High School. “I thought it was happening on campus because of the school being surrounded by helicopters above the field during PE,” sophomore Jood Majeed said.  High tension filled the minds of students as they could hear helicopters and see the police cars circulating outside of the school. 

Later, the Glendale Police Department released news videos of what really happened. According to NBCLA, an officer was notified of a man being assaulted with a machete. As the officers went to check out the scene they could not find any suspect for the crime, so they decided to block off the streets to be able to keep the suspect in one place. After multiple hours the man who barricaded himself inside the house surrendered; his name was Vahan Kashishain. As they entered the house, they found a dead body, and Vahan Kashishain was taken in by police custody as a suspect of murder.

In the face of this distressing incident, no students were harmed, and most felt safe with the help of the reassurance that Clark teachers were giving their students. Staff members and teachers ensured the well-being of every individual within the boundaries of the campus.