Let Down Your Hair at Clark’s Annual Winter Formal

Arineh Shahbazi
Senior Christie Ghazarian parties with her two friends on the dance floor.

Clark Magnet High School was transformed into an enchanting fairy tale as students gathered together for the much anticipated 2024 Winter Formal with the theme of the Disney movie Tangled. It was a night to remember, since the event was a magnificent evening filled with music, laughter, and unforeseen delights. 

As students arrived at the front gates, they were warmly welcomed by the enthusiastic physical education instructor, Coach Frazer. Once allowed through the gates, a group of teachers and staff were ready with compliments, scanning students in and getting everyone quickly checked in so the wait wouldn’t be too long. The beautifully decorated entrance set the tone for the magical night that awaited them as each student had their IDs checked, ensuring a safe and secure environment for everyone.

The main feature of the entrance was a stunning balloon arch, made by Junior Class President Lily Tanossian. “My favorite part about it all would have to be the decorations. I learned how to make a balloon arch in my sophomore year in ASB, and I owe all my balloon-tying skills to the graduating class of 2023,” Tanossian said. The arch featured a captivating combination of gold, dark purple, and lilac balloons, perfectly capturing the Tangled theme colors. The tables were also carefully designed, with light purple tablecloths covering them and flower petals spread across them in hues inspired by the movie’s theme. These subtle touches brought Tangled to life and produced an aesthetically pleasing environment.  

The auditorium was transformed into the perfect party wonderland, complete with a DJ and twinkling lights strung on the walls. The lively energy was noticeable as students let loose on the dance floor. An additional touch of excitement was added as inflatable balls filled with confetti and glitter were tossed around the dance floor. 

Students stopped during their energetic dancing to pay homage to Vice Principal Dr. Hairapetian’s birthday. With a heartfelt song of “Happy Birthday,” the entire auditorium ceased dancing to celebrate with Dr. Hairapetian, making the occasion unforgettable and endearing. Hairapetian mused about how meaningful the evening was to her as she shared, “It actually made my night. I felt really special, everyone sang to me and then pulled me to the dance floor. I showed the video that Ms. Ohanian recorded to everyone—my husband and kids—I mean, truly, I feel such a good connection with the students, it was just amazing.”

Culinary delights were not left behind at this winter formal. The star of the show was Mama’s Egyptian Kitchen’s delicious shawarma truck with a wonderful array of selections, such as falafel, chicken shawarma, and beef shawarma with a side of fries. Though the food truck unfortunately ran out of fries, those attending were quick to make comparisons, with some even going as far as to say that the food was the “Best Clark food ever, better than Chick-fil-A,” said junior Seda Ghazaryan. Students universally agreed that waiting in the long lines was a small price to pay for the delicious meal.

Students waited in line to try the delicious food from Mama’s Egyptian Kitchen. (Jojo Mkhitaryan)

A table full of mouth watering sweets, such as cookies and cupcakes, added an appealing twist to the event and was stationed near the outside of the auditorium. These delicious treats were given to all students, adding a touch of sweetness to an already magical evening.

There were a variety of activities for those who sought a getaway from the dance floor. Students had a perfect opportunity to capture and preserve moments with their closest friends in a photo booth, bringing more laughter and fun to the event. Sophomore Lori Garibian shared her experience, “I really enjoyed winter formal this year! I went to both homecoming and formal, but I loved how many activities there were at winter formal. I had never seen glitter tattoos at a dance before, but I thought it was such a fun idea! The photo booth was definitely my favorite part— I took lots of photos with my friends and will now be able to remember the night forever,” Garibian said. 

There was also an entertaining alternative for students to express themselves at the tables near the entrance, where they had the option of decorating themselves with glitter tattoos to give their winter formal appearance a unique touch. When students needed a break from dancing, the ping-pong tables turned into exciting entertainment areas where friendly yet intense competitions took place, creating an atmosphere full of friendship and fun that went beyond the dance floor. 

The winter formal at Clark Magnet High School was more than just a dance; it was a magical adventure into the world of Tangled. “I’m so proud of my Class of 2025 ASB folks for putting on such a great event,”  Class of 2025 ASB advisor Ms. Yogurtian made sure to share, “The highlight for me was seeing all of the smiling student faces; everyone was obviously having a blast, including the chaperones! There were people playing ping-pong, dancing, taking photo booth pictures, getting glitter tattoos, enjoying the freshly made shawarma, and hitting the dessert table. It seemed like there was something for everyone, and that made me happy.” Every aspect of the night, from the tasty shawarma to the entertaining activities, came together to create the perfect night for our lovely students.