Clark celebrates with ribbon cutting ceremony for the new manufacturing, robotics, and engineering building

Aleen Yadegarian
Back left: Hagop Kassabian, former principal Lena Kortoshian, Board Member Shant Sahakian, principal Mark Rubio, Superintendent Dr. Darneika Watson, engineering and robotics teacher Aram Ohanis, assistant principal Anet Hairapetian, and Diana Oganesyan posing for a photo after cutting the ribbon.

After months of construction, Clark students are finally able to show off the new, long-awaited manufacturing, robotics, and engineering building on campus. The official ribbon-cutting ceremony for the building was held on January 9, starting at 9 a.m., and coffee was served to keep everyone warm due to the cold  morning weather. 

Present at the small yet special ceremony were Clark’s principal, Mark Rubio, who was also the main coordinator of the event, assistant principal Dr. Anet Hairapetian, and counselors Lucine Cerda, Armine Boyadzhyan, and Tamara Johnson, along with Clark’s robotics and engineering teacher, Aram Ohanis, and a few of his students. Also, various Glendale Unified School District staff were present at the ceremony, including Superintendent Darnika Watson, board member Shant Sahakian, former Clark principal Ms. Kortoshian, and more.

Various recognitions were given during the speech, and those acknowledged came up to take the stand, sharing their contributions to the project. Finally, it was time for the ribbon-cutting part of the ceremony. The staff all gathered together and helped hold the giant green ribbon while Mr. Rubio stepped forward and cut the ribbon, symbolizing the official opening of the new building.

After the end of the ceremony, Mr. Rubio expressed his positive thoughts about working at Clark and being able to take part in this celebratory event, saying “I’ve met many of the robotics students, and I think they are a very dedicated, creative, enthusiastic group of students.”

After the ribbon was finally cut and the building’s doors opened, Mr. Ohanis and his robotic students walked around and gave the teachers and staff a small tour of their new building, which took a year and a half to build.

Mr. Ohanis shared his insights on the new building: “We are up there as far as technology goes and as far as equipment goes, but we are still missing a couple more, and we are planning on buying the machines that are capable of doing what we call 5-axis machining and 4th-axis machining, and so we can make machine parts more complex for our robot.”