The annual autumn tradition, Clarktoberfest, is back

Aleh Issagholian
Junior Jenna Faoor sells brownies to freshman Sara Galstyan to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness Club.

As the autumn leaves begin to fall, students of Clark Magnet High School come together for an annual event: Clarktoberfest. Students started getting ready to leave their 7th period classes and go to the front of the amphitheater for some fall fun. 

With the Clark tradition starting in 2010, Clarktoberfest has persisted into the 2023-2024 school year, marking its 13th year anniversary. This fall festival continues to be an enjoyable moment for the Clark community, providing the students with an opportunity to spend a portion of their 7th period and all of enrichment in a festival-like atmosphere. 

Several clubs as well as each class were part of the food fundraisers. Clubs submitted requests to sell, and ASB used a randomizing spin-the-wheel generator to fairly select 4-6 clubs that would be allowed to have a booth for this event. Although ASB didn’t expect that many tickets to be sold, the event was still successful. “Ticket sales went beyond what we had anticipated because we had not purchased enough supply to match the demand. For those reasons, ASB had an emergency meeting and increased the supplies they would be selling” Vahag Matevosian, ASB president said. Clarktoberfest revolved around the enjoyment of delectable food, making it a great experience on campus. 

Clarktoberfest serves as a place to showcase the diversity of clubs within the school community, highlighting the wide range of interests and talents that students have, varying from reading to math, providing something for everyone to appreciate and enjoy at this event. Clubs offered different kinds of food, so whether you have a sweet tooth, or a craving for something savory, there’s something for everyone. 

Clarktoberfest was filled with the aroma of donuts, ponchiks, pirashki, brownies, pizza, and more, enticing students to visit the different tables. There were many clubs selling treats to raise money for their own activities in the future. Oreos were being sold by the Clark Mathletes, churros were being sold by the book club, breast cancer awareness was selling brownies, the Armenian club was selling Armenian merch like t-shirts, IRC Action was selling cookies, and many more. 

Boba was one of the most highly-anticipated drinks being sold, with the line going up the stairs of the ampitheatre. ASB was selling boba for $7 to support the class of 2024. They offered a distinct amount of refreshing bubble tea flavors, ranging from traditional flavors like taro to modern drinks like passion fruit. Sophomore Liam Chatham was one of many who was excited to get boba. “The boba was refreshing, considering the high temperatures hitting 90°,” he said. Despite the long lines for the boba, donuts were also the star of the show. ASB had flavors ranging from classic glazed to chocolate covered donuts. “It was very successful considering the fact that all the donuts were sold out after a couple minutes,” sophomore Darla Abdessian, a member of ASB who helped sell the donuts for the sophomore class, said. 

The ASB proceeds from the event are directed toward future school activities like the Disneyland trip or even graduation! By participating in Clarktoberfest, students not only enjoyed a fantastic day, but also contributed to the betterment of their school and the wider community.