ICE splits families apart

Back to Article
Back to Article

ICE splits families apart

Children separated from their parents by border control.

Courtesy of Pride Hill

Courtesy of Pride Hill

Courtesy of Pride Hill

Reed Maruyama, Yearbook Section Editor

Ever since President Donald Trump introduced a “zero-tolerance” policy calling for the prosecution of all individuals who illegally enter the United States, children have been separated from their families daily while trying to enter or stay in the country. Stories of deportations, estrangement of families, and immigrant detention centers have crossed the screens of the public daily; but after a while, these families become just another name, another hashtag to scroll past.

People enjoy life in their own bubble of safety; all of the unpleasantries happen far away where it cannot hurt them.

I too enjoyed the comfort of my own bubble until a text in the early morning brought America’s issues of immigration too close to home.

“Hey Reed,” the text read. “I wanted to let you know that I am safe but I won’t be coming home for a long time.” The boy who texted me was my friend of a couple years. He was active in his community and spent his time participating in track and field and playing bass in his high school orchestra.

My friend had been having issues with his parents’ citizenship, causing Immigration and Customs Enforcement to show up at his house. His parents knew their rights and refused to let ICE in without a warrant, but they waited for him at his bus stop and detained him, having his parents come to the rescue.His Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals was about to expire; he could stay but he had nowhere to go.

Courtesy of KALW Public Radio
Man is shown getting escorted by ICE.

When his parents arrived to take my friend out of the holding center they had brought him to, ICE threatened to separate them. He willingly left the United States to be with his family and now has no way of living in his childhood home until he gets his citizenship back.

“I was lucky,” my friend said. “We had enough money for a plane ticket back home and we have family that gave us a place to stay. It could have been way worse. I’m just glad that my family stayed together, I don’t know what I would have done without them in that situation, I was so scared.”

Many children are not as lucky. My friend is a junior in high school student, capable of speaking for his rights and needs if necessary. Children are taken from their parents at all ages. 100 out of every 700 children taken are under the age of four. These kids are placed in detention centers, unable to process what is happening and unknowing of when they are going to see their parents again.

This kind of trauma has long term effects on children. Houston Public Media released a clip of a child who could not recognize his mother after three months of separation; CNN released another video of a 13 year old’s account of life in a detention center. “I was in a shelter for two months,” the boy said in an interview with CNN. “I thought I was going to be in that place for my entire life. I felt oppressed, imprisoned, I became numb.” These children now have to live with separation anxiety and a fear for their family’s safety.

The fact that children have to spend some of the most critical years of their life away from their parents and sometimes imprisoned is baffling. No matter their immigration status, children and teenagers should never have to go through what my friend did.

Reed Maruyama, Yearbook Section Editor

Hobbies: painting,exercising, ballet, listening to music, eating good food, and exploring Downtown Los Angeles

Favorite shows: The Fosters, Queer Eye,...

1 Comment

One Response to “ICE splits families apart”

1. Jeff Rogers on November 8th, 2018 6:36 am

Heartbreaking. Thank you this moving, considered, well-written piece.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• ICE splits families apart

All

Nicholas Sparks returns with a heart-wrenching novel

• ICE splits families apart

All

Revolutionizing the paper book

• ICE splits families apart

All

‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ banned from some radio stations’ playlists

• All

Foster system sometimes fails to support children and families

• ICE splits families apart

All

China creates Muslim internment camps and no one has done anything about it

• ICE splits families apart

All

‘Fairy Tail’ comes back for their final season

• ICE splits families apart

All

Schools must allow vending machines

• ICE splits families apart

All

XXXTentacion’s released his new album, ‘Skins,’ a couple months after his death, leaving fans with many doubts

• ICE splits families apart

All

Local Italian food just right around the corner

• ICE splits families apart

All

More gun control is needed right now

ICE splits families apart