Clark Bike Club helps VW Elementary students gain experience with riding to school

Barbara Shepard

Barbara Shepard

Leslie Chung, Staff Writer

On May 9 students of the Clark Magnet Bike Team escorted approximately 50 Verdugo Woodlands Elementary School students to their school as part of the Bike to School Day. Kristina Provost, the principal of Verdugo Woodlands Elementary, invited Clark’s team to help escort these young students to school.

The elementary school students and their parents met at the First Congregational Church of Glendale near VW Elementary to start riding to school. The parents and the students stayed at the church to listen to Vartan Gharpetian, the mayor of Glendale, make a speech before they rode off to school.

The Clark students ensured that the students safety was protected during the ride to school. They made sure the students wore their helmets and stayed on the right side of the road. Sophomore Adon Dela Paz experienced the event first hand. “It was nice seeing kids trying to bike to their school. It was really important that their safety was secure.”

Barbara Shepard
Members of Clark’s bike team Gillian Lowe, Samantha Dominguez, and Allyson McCullough pose with adviser Carol Pettigrew and Verdugo Woodlands principal  Kristina Provost.