And the Academy Award goes to…

(January 31, 2013) — The nominees are out, the Academy has come to a conclusion, and now all we can do is wait, or as Titanic’s Oscar nominee Gloria Stuart would say, “ Wait to die… wait to live… wait for an absolution… that would never come.” Sure, it sounds a bit morbid in this case, but the Oscars are serious stuff. Few may know that this year happens to have the oldest and youngest nominees for Best Actress. 85-year-old Emmanuelle Riva and 9-year-old Quvenzhane Wallis will compete head to head this year for the grand Oscar. Not only are they nominated, but the films they play in are nominated for Best Picture as well – the movies Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild , respectively. Among the nominations for Best Picture are Argo, Lincoln, Les Miserables , Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi. Many people have various views on which movie is worthy of an Oscar. History teacher Nicholas Doom, who has watched both Lincoln and Les Miserables, says that each movie in its own way qualifies for the most prestigious award of the film industry. “I think the direction is great for both,” said Doom. He also paid attention to the acting and the editing in order to see how feel the film flowed. ”[ Lincoln ] captures a true event and I think it was exciting and entertaining in how it portrays the 13th Amendment,” Doom said. Junior Larisse Lazatin, on the other hand, says that Les Miserables will go home with the award due to the cast’s outstanding ability to sing on a live stage. “I think Les Miserables will win a lot of awards due to its amazing actors,” she said. “And the storyline really moved me.” The Oscars are to air Feb. 24, 5:30 pm.