Commercialized Valentine’s Day

(Feb. 19, 2013) — Valentine’s Day: The day when everyone makes the chocolate and candy corporations a little bit richer as they stock up on some goodies for their loved one. Is Valentine’s Day really all about this craze for getting the perfect box of chocolates, and the perfect roses? I choose to think that there’s a lot more to this day than just buying goodies, but it just doesn’t seem like it at all with people obsessing over getting the right material possessions. This day has evolved into a commercialized mess that can either be sour or sweet. An example of this V-Day pressure is when a guy wants to impress his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. He probably feels forced to go out and spend a fortune on roses, chocolates, and a lot more. Think about this. Is love really measured by the amount of things you purchase? No, not at all. So, why do people always feel like they’re pressured to buy so many things for their special someone? It’s just all the corporations that are feeding us with cutesy advertisements that make everything look like a must-have on V-Day. Why must we be forced by corporations to be romantic on February 14th? Love is love. So why show it on just one day? I’m not saying that Valentine’s Day is not a good day. It’s good to express your love, but it’s crucial to not get so wrapped in all the “must-have” items. V-Day is not about buying the largest teddy bear or the most expensive diamond ring. It’s about showing your loved one you care. Anyone can express how they actually feel without having to go out and buy a bunch of chocolate and flowers. The true meaning of Valentine’s Day is to express your affection to your loved one, and buying the entire florist shop’s stock of roses doesn’t necessarily do this. Yes, it is lovely to be showered in gifts, but at the end of the day, do material possessions express love, or do people? Amidst all of the Valentine knick-knacks, people tend to forget about the real meaning of V-Day, and that’s just plain sad to me. This is what commercialization of holidays does — it sucks out the meaning and stuffs it up with material possessions. Another holiday also defined by gifts is Christmas. It’s terrible what nice holidays have come down to. I guess there’s no real way to avoid the commercialization of holidays. But you can avoid becoming a walking advertisement by just thinking about the true meaning the holiday. In this case, show your love, don’t buy it.