Why you shouldn’t not like Mitt Romney

Okay, let’s be straightforward here. You don’t like Romney. Your friends don’t like Romney. Since you live in California, a Democratic Party state, the majority of people you know don’t like Romney either. But what countless Democrats fail to understand is why they don’t like Romney. In fact, Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney makes many agreeable points which Democrats and Republicans alike should understand. Before voting for Barack Obama, every voter should at least consider Romney’s differing perspective. Three key issues Romney and Obama differ on are military funding, taxes and healthcare, and Romney has good reason to oppose Obama’s policies on all of these issues. First, there is the issue of the size of the U.S. military. In order to enforce worldwide order, this looming giant is supported by an annual budget of about $700 billion, the world’s largest military budget by more than $500 billion. As made clear by his administration’s troop withdrawal and budget cut policies, Obama’s goal is to downsize the United States’ military presence around the world. Romney, on the other hand, wants to restore military funding—a bold move for a nation recovering from a harshly criticized “war on terrorism.” However, the United States has been the world’s greatest military superpower since the end of the Cold War. Fortunately, we use our giant military muscle to defend life and liberty worldwide. Our alliances with Japan, Taiwan and Israel keep smaller militaries such as China’s, North Korea’s and Iran’s from making brash, aggressive advances. If Obama diminishes our strong worldwide military presence, who can predict what threats to life and liberty would arise? But let’s get back to the home front. If there’s one thing everybody in this country agrees on, it’s that nobody likes paying taxes. As important as taxes are to the nation’s budget, sometimes they just seem a bit too much. Romney sees this; as President, he has said that he will not raise income taxes for anyone. In contrast, if re-elected, Obama pledges to raise taxes on citizens making over $200,000 a year. The reasoning behind this is that the rich can carry an economic burden that the lower and middle classes cannot afford. However, a point that Romney has stressed throughout his campaign is that the upper class owns the companies that employ lower and middle class individuals. Raising taxes on the upper class would only curb economic growth and adversely affect employment rates, which have already suffered under four years of the Obama administration. Those with a more analytical perspective may wonder why we need higher taxes at all. What economic burden is so large that Obama requires the country’s upper class to support it? The Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as “Obamacare,” would cost more than $500 billion in taxes over ten years, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. It would also take an additional $500 billion out of Medicare, and then place the federal government in complete control of the country’s healthcare system. Romney believes this is not the way health care should be organized. A federal standardized health care plan would eliminate constructive competition among health care providers; if every U.S. citizen is required to have insurance, health care providers can always expect to be paid, regardless of the effort they put out. Repealing Obamacare would allow citizens to choose their healthcare providers, ensuring healthy competition between providers for the benefit of the people. Additionally, Obamacare requires all states to follow the same generalized federal health care standards. Repealing Obamacare will allow each state to tailor its health care system to best fit its specific citizens. As President, Romney pledges to make efforts to repeal Obamacare starting on his first day in office. Not everything Obama has done as president was wrong. However, not everything Obama plans to do as president is right, either. Democrats should not blindly vote their presidential candidate into a second term. While it is always important to have a political viewpoint in this country, it is even more important to understand why one political viewpoint is better than another.