Facebook a fad?

(September 20, 2012) — Over the years, Facebook has been one of the fastest growing phenomena in the world. In less than a decade, this website has become one of the Internet’s most well known icons, attractding about 955 million people who go on the site to chat and share anything they want to share. I find myself going to Facebook on a regular basis as well. As popular as it is, though, how long will this last? Many websites stay popular over a long period of time because they offer a service that you cannot find anywhere else, like YouTube and its vast selection of videos. Social sites, however, do not offer anything extremely innovating or necessary. Facebook seems to have made itself a self-feeding popularity: because it’s so popular, almost everyone uses it, so therefore, it won’t be difficult to find friends and family on Facebook The main problem with Facebook is that, besides being used by nearly everyone, it offers nothing that another social site could just as easily offer. Recently, a new Armenian social website surfaced, called Yeresbook (Yeres being the Armenian word for face). Quite frankly, this site is just a carbon copy of Facebook, but at least it has the appeal that it’s made especially for the Armenian community. Facebook, however, has no such appeal. It could easily disappear within the next few year, replaced by a new and “fresh” social website that offers more than Facebook. In general, this is not something new to the industry. Myspace was one of the biggest websites on the web a few years ago, making Facebook seem unimportant. Slowly however, the popularity of Facebook grew and eventually toppled the once mighty Myspace. Recently, Myspace was bought for about $35 million, a fraction of what the site used to cost. So with that in mind, it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that Facebook will fall to the same fate that came to all the social sites before it.