You’ll Never Guess How Freida McFadden’s The Housemaid Ends

Aleen Yadegarian
The psychological thriller, The Housemaid, by Freida McFadden

Freida McFadden’s The Housemaid is a gripping novel, exploring the complexities and secrets that lurk behind the closed doors of a seemingly ordinary household. McFadden is known for her captivating psychological thrillers, which are always able to keep readers at the edge of their seats, fascinated on how the story will end. Although I have read multiple of McFadden’s novels, The Housemaid is my favorite by far, due to the suspense it instills in the reader and the shocking plot twists.

The Housemaid, published August 23, 2022 quickly became a hit when readers discovered and shared the jaw-dropping plot twists that lay hidden within its pages. McFadden’s rise to popularity can be attributed to the viral sensation that The Housemaid became in the thriller world of #BookTok, a side of TikTok where readers come together to discuss their latest reads. People who were shocked and awed by the plot twist took to their platforms to express their astonishment without revealing any spoilers. The book is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestseller and winner of a 2023 ITW Thriller Award. 

The novel follows the main character, Millie Calloway, who is a young, unemployed woman with a criminal past, desperately seeking employment in order to be able to support herself. Millie accepts the position as a housemaid for the wealthy Winchester family, and must put up with Nina Winchester, the tiresome and mentally ill matriarch whom she finds to be incredibly difficult. From putting up with constant torment, to eventually having to fight for her life, Millie uncovers dark secrets that hide between the walls of the “perfect” family she works for.

Some reviews have said that the characters can be irritating and don’t understand what’s going on, but it’s important to remember that these traits are added to the story on purpose to play a certain role. Even though these flawed characters can be annoying at times, they are very important to the story because they create tension and drama.

The Housemaid provides evidence of Freida McFadden’s mastery of narrative because it takes readers on an engaging and thought-provoking journey through an interesting plot. As a result, readers come away with a deep understanding of the complexities of human nature, a main reason why it is one of my favorites. From beginning to end, I was unable to put this book down, eager to find out how it will end. If you are in need of a jaw dropping thriller, The Housemaid is a perfect choice, and will leave you haunted by the plot and questioning your own morals by the end of it.