Students share varying reactions to new magazine

Many people were shocked to hear the rumors of the discontinuation of our school newspaper at the end of the 2013-14 school year, but nobody believed it until they saw the new school magazine released on Nov. 3.

Many students were shocked to see the colorful Magnet magazine being passed around their classrooms instead of the black and white Clark Chronicle. Seniors, juniors and sophomores had mixed feelings about the change, but the majority of students were pleased to see the change.

“I thinked it looked cooler than the newspaper,” said junior Natasha Vartanian. “It had a fresher look. I like the magazine a lot better.”

“I think the magazine is amazing,” said sophomore John Bandek. “It’s a more fun way of reading. The newspapers were a waste.”

I think the magazine is amazing

— John Bandek

Christopher Davis, the Publications teacher, seemed to think the same. “Many students were not reading the newspaper,” he said. “We tried to make the newspaper more interesting last year to raise more interest, but it didn’t really work. It’s what inclined me to change to a magazine.”

Davis also said that he prefers the magazine to newspaper, and would like to continue making it as long as there is a budget for it, and student interest.

Although many students liked the change from The Clark Chronicle to The Magnet, some students felt nostalgia for the magazine. “I liked the magazine,” senior Kamran Jahadi, “but I enjoyed reading the newspaper more. The newspaper was classic and I liked how it focused more on the stories. The magazine has too many pictures.