Fall Out Boy’s M A N I A marks a turning point for the band

courtesy of Clay Sharpys/ Flickr

courtesy of Clay Sharpys/ Flickr

courtesy of Clay Sharpys/ Flickr

Sangam Sharma, Staff Writer

Fall Out Boy fanatics who grew up singing “Dance, Dance” and “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down” are in for a big surprise. Their new album, M A N I A, diverges from their original pop-punk emo roots, more so than any of their past albums. The transition, originally gradual with Fall Out Boy’s Infinity on High and Folie á Deux, abruptly exploded with the release of M A N I A.

For a band that has been around for 17 years, they show surprising variety in their songs and style. No two songs sound the same, unlike singles from other rock bands, such as My Chemical Romance and Franz Ferdinand.

As the years progress, so does their evolution, something band members have been very open about. “We’re a band that has made no secret of experimenting and changing,” said frontman Patrick Stump, in an interview with New Musical Express.

With their most recent release M A N I A, Fall Out Boy delves into an ill-fated venture of the EDM and stadium pop genres. The album’s lead single “Young and Menace” involves heavy EDM influence and is hardly distinguishable as a Fall Out Boy song. In “Young and Menace,” Patrick Stump’s unique voice and the band’s intense musical sound has been pitch-shifted into unrecognizable squeaks, which are hard to listen through and quick to numb the brain.

The only song reminiscent of the past is “The Last of the Real Ones.” With catchy guitar riffs, a sing-along chorus and well-written verses, this is the only salvageable song of the album. The same cannot be said about the rest of the album. In an attempt to top charts and cater to the crowd, Fall Out Boy has transformed into the typical musician, trading singles for quick cash. While it’s great that they’re trying new things, they’ve become indistinguishable from the multitudes of unoriginal pop artists, and have lost the originality that made fans crazy about their discography.