The bloom of Laufey

Laufey+practicing+live+for+WFUV+in+New+York.+
Creative Commons
Laufey practicing live for WFUV in New York.

Many people try to make it big in the music industry, the most recent to succeed was an Icelandic singer-songwriter. During the first few months of 2020, Laufey (pronounced “Lay-vay”) rose in popularity because of her debut single, “Street by Street.” It caught the eyes of many iconic artists, such as Billie Eilish and Dodie, bringing even more attention to her name. Given the typically minimal recognition of the jazz community, her success sheds light on the jazz industry.

Embracing the musical journey into 2023, Laufey reached new heights with the release of her second album, “Bewitched,” on September 8, 2023. This album became a significant milestone, breaking records on Spotify as the biggest jazz debut album. Since its release, “Bewitched” has gained over 5.5 million streams, with the help of previous listeners from the album’s single “From the Start”. 

Since the release of her single “From the Start”, it has exceeded 80 million Spotify streams. Many people on social media sites such as TikTok and Instagram recognized her through this song. This increased the members of her fanbase and her popularity in the jazz community, which is the reason for the millions of streams for Bewitched. Now with over 145 million streams, Bewitched has broken the record on Spotify as the biggest jazz debut album.

The “Bewitched” album provides fourteen songs in total, including the two most-listened songs in her album: “From the Start” and “Promise.” Thanks to the combination of jazz and classical influences, each song tells a different story. “From the Start” portrays the pain caused by unrequited love, whereas “Promise” highlights the internal struggle that arises when trying to keep your distance from someone.

The artist’s compelling connection between melodic vocals and authentic emotions creates a rich musical experience. Each of her songs brings a nostalgic feel to the serene and powerful vibe of her music. With Laufey being able to express her genuine feelings through her music, she is able to provide her viewers with songs that are to the best of her ability.

Laufey’s exceptional album truly reveals her talent. According to a guitarist and singer, John Smith, he finds “Bewitched” amazing and further says, “This is a masterpiece that transcends genres. The fusion of jazz and classical elements creates a mesmerizing experience, and each track feels like a journey into Laufey’s soul.”

The success of “Bewitched” isn’t just about how many times people listen to it; it shows that Laufey can truly share her feelings through music. As more people, mainly fans and critics, praise the album, it confirms that Laufey is a strong artist in the world of jazz. Her music takes listeners on a unique and emotionally powerful journey.